SIGIA-L Mail Archives: Re: [Sigia-l] OK/Cancel madness [was Canb

Re: [Sigia-l] OK/Cancel madness [was Canberra IA Cocktail Hour]

From: Matthew Nish-Lapidus <mattnl_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri Nov 09 2007 - 08:42:12 EST

Or, when you absolutely need to confirm an action, why OK and Cancel?
How did Cancel become the opposite of OK anyway?

I'd take a page from Mac OS and actually label the buttons with
choices that make sense. Save/Don't Save, Continue/Stop/Don't
Continue, Quit/Don't Quit, Delete/Don't Delete .... those options make
a lot more sense than a generic OK/Cancel.

As for placement, I tend to believe in putting the positive action on
the side that's closer to the edge of the window/area and highlighting
it. It could be either right or left depending on the alignment of
the buttons on the screen. Either way, it's easier for a user to hit
a button that's close to the edge than one that's sort of randomly
aligned in the window, people tend to automatically go to the edges of
a window.

--
Matt Nish-Lapidus
email/gtalk: mattnl@gmail.com