SIGIA-L Mail Archives: Re: [Sigia-l] storing pattern libraries

Re: [Sigia-l] storing pattern libraries

From: Austin Govella <austin.govella_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed Sep 26 2007 - 19:31:00 EDT

On 9/26/07, Brett Taylor <btaylor@roundarch.com> wrote:
> I agree, but in our libraries, we link to the supporting items so if we
> show a pattern, we'll have a place to link to the code, visio stencils
> etc.

At Comcast, our IA+Usability group is midway through developing a
system of patterns, stencils, and templates that do something similar.

When a pattern is updated, all stencils and templates that reference
that pattern are updated. It's more mechanical than magical, but it
sounds magical, yeah?

We've developed customized patterns for our products, and we've had
good success using stencils for very rapid wireframing. (Too bad
annotation can't be as fast.)

Our system is targeted first at making it easy for us to document so
we can spend more time thinking and problem solving. We believe the
outcome will be that general "UX literacy" will increase as our common
"UX language" emerges.

(The new system has been spearheaded by Livia Labate, Crystal
Kubitsky, and Paul Kali working with Nathan Curtis and Dan Brown from
Eight Shapes: http://eightshapes.com/. If you would like to know more,
I can put you in touch with someone with more information.)

--
Austin Govella
Thinking & Making: http://thinkingandmaking.com