SIGIA-L Mail Archives: Re: [Sigia-l] Visual shopping

Re: [Sigia-l] Visual shopping

From: Jonathan Baker-Bates (Jonathan.Baker-Bates_at_lbi.com)
Date: Fri Mar 02 2007 - 07:23:09 EST

<snip>

> A treemap like your original example could be a good option
> for representing a tree structure when the hierarchical
> aspects of the dataset are less important than other
> attributes (see http://www.cs.umd.edu/hcil/treemap-history/
> for some examples of applications). It's just not a
> particularly good way to visualize an online shoe store. :)

I'm intrigued as to where you get your confidence in saying that it's
not a good way to visualize an online shoe store. I can see it's
sub-optimal, slow, and in other ways poorly executed. But then I see
what I regard as sub-optimal UI all over the place which is also quite
often very popular with a very large user base.

So, as a concept (as opposed to an execution of that), how do you know
it won't work?

Jonathan

IA Summit 2007: Enriching IA
Rich Information, Rich Interaction, Rich Relationships
March 22-26, 2007, Las Vegas, NV
www.iasummit.org
-----