SIGIA-L Mail Archives: Re: [Sigia-l] Visual shopping

Re: [Sigia-l] Visual shopping

From: Dmitry Nekrasovski (mail.dmitry_at_gmail.com)
Date: Thu Mar 01 2007 - 09:55:38 EST

On 2/28/07, Ziya Oz <listera_at_earthlink.net> wrote:

> I considered many varieties of abstraction on top of the SP layout to allow
> people to navigate this maze without regard to physical file structure. One
> of them was a zoomable UI. However, because of the complexity of the
> relationships in this SP repository, a simple node-linking won't suffice.

A treemap like your original example could be a good option for
representing a tree structure when the hierarchical aspects of the
dataset are less important than other attributes (see
http://www.cs.umd.edu/hcil/treemap-history/ for some examples of
applications). It's just not a particularly good way to visualize an
online shoe store. :)

Dmitry
IA Summit 2007: Enriching IA
Rich Information, Rich Interaction, Rich Relationships
March 22-26, 2007, Las Vegas, NV
www.iasummit.org
-----