SIGIA-L Mail Archives: Re: [Sigia-l]

Re: [Sigia-l]

From: David (Heller) Malouf (dave.ixd_at_gmail.com)
Date: Thu Jul 13 2006 - 06:13:57 EDT

On 7/13/06, Jonathan Baker-Bates <Jonathan.Baker-Bates_at_wheel.co.uk> wrote:
> What I originally *meant* was examples of technologies where the
> inventors had made huge claims about their ideas along the lines of them
> producing tectonic shifts in the fabric of society or exiting business
> models. This is something which Mr. Lamere appears to do when talking
> about how his technology will "alter the traditional 'hit-driven'
> business model of the music industry" etc.

Very rarely do "inventors" of anything good make these claims. Fulton,
Bell, Edison, Marconi didn't know their individual inventions would
forever shift the fabric of society. I mean they weren't necessarily
humble, but I think it is nearly impossible to envision that type of
change. Maybe Einstein/Oppenheimer knew what they were getting into,
but I doubt the wright brothers really understood their effect.

For example Lee did not envision all this change for the Internet when
he invented the WWW. But it has been earth shattering without any
promise what-so-ever.

Bigger question ... what are you trying to get at with your original
question? Do you really think there is nothing else to "invent"? Just
not sure what the point is.

-- dave

--
David (Heller) Malouf