SIGIA-L Mail Archives: [Sigia-l] FW: Ranganathan audio: speech about Melvil Dewey

[Sigia-l] FW: Ranganathan audio: speech about Melvil Dewey

From: Eric Scheid (eric.scheid_at_ironclad.net.au)
Date: Sat Dec 17 2005 - 21:40:55 EST

topical...

------ Forwarded Message
From: William Denton <wtd_at_pobox.com>

I digitized a 1964 talk by Ranganathan about Melvil Dewey, and have made
it available as an MP3:

     http://www.miskatonic.org/library/ranganathan-audio.html

It's 6 MB and 15 minutes long. Ranganathan never met Dewey, but they did
correspond. Dewey wanted Ranganathan to help him improve his
classification system but died before the first edition of COLON
CLASSICATION was published. Ranganathan recounts this and some other
ancedotes. I was glad when I found the old cassette tape of the speech
and could hear Ranganathan talk.

Bill

--
William Denton : Toronto, Canada : www.miskatonic.org : www.frbr.org