SIGIA-L Mail Archives: Re: [Sigia-l] Not All Innovations Are Equal?

Re: [Sigia-l] Not All Innovations Are Equal?

From: Trenouth, John (John.Trenouth_at_cardinal.com)
Date: Tue Dec 06 2005 - 13:20:56 EST

Wow. I actually agree with Ziya. Business strategy needs to drive
innovation, rather than novelty for its own sake in search of a business
strategy. If we are talking about product innovation I would go a step
further and say that the business strategy must be driven by the goal of
dramatically increasing value for the customer in terms of utility,
usability or desirability.

While my perspective on Apple is quite different from Ziya's (I've
purchased a few Apple products and either returned or ebayed them
shortly after) I do have to admit they've nailed desirability like no
other consumer technology company.

There are plenty of examples out there other than Apple. For instance,
Canon too followed a business strategy focused on desirability for the
original digital Elph. The result was a small, shiny, metal shelled,
cigarette-package shaped camera with a comfortable weight that offered
decent (not great because utility wasn't the strategic goal)
photographic quality. This strategy, focused on a particular value for
the customer, and Canon's focus and execution defined what it was to be
a small digital camera. And consumers desired it--especially female
consumers.

IA 06 Summit. Mark your calendar. March 23-27, Vancouver, BC