SIGIA-L Mail Archives: Re: [Sigia-l] what are best practices (was OT: Library Thing)

Re: [Sigia-l] what are best practices (was OT: Library Thing)

From: Eric Reiss (elr_at_e-reiss.com)
Date: Wed Oct 05 2005 - 04:39:46 EDT

The Japanese call the concept of useless innovation "chindogu".

Here's a great example: a German designer (?) invented a pair of
sunglasses where it is possible to remove the earpieces and use them
as chopsticks. They're called "Sushi Shades".

Are all inventions useful? No. Eric Scheid is right. But inventions
and innovation are not the same thing.

Innovation has to solve a problem - Ziya and I stand together on this
one. That's why we often speak of "innovative solutions", which
implies the presence of a problem to be solved.

Best,
Eric Reiss