SIGIA-L Mail Archives: RE: [Sigia-l] Intranet analytics

RE: [Sigia-l] Intranet analytics

From: Jonathan Baker-Bates (Jonathan.Baker-Bates_at_oyster.com)
Date: Wed Jul 20 2005 - 08:00:39 EDT

You need to be careful when using web analytics to improve IA. Without a
solid understanding of how exactly the data is collected (and what
things can confuse or distort the interpretation of that data) you can
easily make unsafe conclusions. Things aren't always what they seem to
be, and the web analytics software vendors don't usually like to make
that very clear. The only one who does is the writer of Analog, who has
a good run-down of the issues:

http://www.analog.cx/docs/webworks.html

See in particular the section "What you can't know." Once you've got
that down, you're OK to go out and do some effective analysis.

Jonathan

Internet communications are not secure and therefore Oyster Partners Ltd does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Oyster Partners Ltd.

IA 06 Summit. Mark your calendar. March 23-27, Vancouver, BC