Return to http://www.info-arch.org/lists/sigia-l/0506/0473.html

SIGIA-L Mail Archives: Re: [Sigia-l] data as information?

Re: [Sigia-l] data as information?

From: Dan Saffer (dan_at_odannyboy.com)
Date: Wed Jun 29 2005 - 20:28:55 EDT

Dick Buchanan broke this data/information/context thing down pretty
well:

"What is data? It's the evidence of a relationship between two
things. We tend to confuse data with fact. Data alone has no meaning.
The number 4683 is an example of data. Without knowing anything else,
the data is meaningless. Datas are the simples of existance; simple
in that they are uninterpreted.

Fact is the interpretation of data. Or, to put it another way, data
in context. Facts have meaning. If data are nouns, facts are whole
sentences. Only in interpreting and connecting do we find out what is
meaningful."

http://www.odannyboy.com/blog/cmu/archives/000651.html

Dan Saffer
Sr. Interaction Designer, Adaptive Path
http://www.adaptivepath.com
http://www.odannyboy.com

IA 06 Summit. Mark your calendar. March 23-27, Vancouver, BC