Return to http://www.info-arch.org/lists/sigia-l/0505/0258.html

SIGIA-L Mail Archives: Re: Re[2]: [Sigia-l] merits of bullets (was Smackdown: Edward Tufte vs. DonNorman)

Re: Re[2]: [Sigia-l] merits of bullets (was Smackdown: Edward Tufte vs. DonNorman)

From: Listera (listera_at_rcn.com)
Date: Tue May 31 2005 - 19:29:48 EDT

Lada Gorlenko:

> Distillation and layers are not exclusive to text, the same
> principle applies to graphics and other media.

You bet.

I'm hoping that everyone's mindful of the fact that PowerPoint, bullets,
etc. are in fact metaphors for the very notion of distillation, of
progressive disclosure.

(On a sizeable project, I make at least two presentations every week...with
PowerPoint. Better than 75% of the contents of those presentations are
pictorial/graphical in nature, mostly one picture per slide. I use very few
words.)

I should point to some of the wonderful examples Gladwell gives in "blink"
where, say, researchers can reach the same conclusion by parsing a 20-second
video sample ('content' removed) as they can the 20-minute full version, but
then I'd have to disclose my secret kickback arrangement with Malcolm's
publisher. :-)

Ziya
Nullius in Verba