SIGIA-L Mail Archives: RE: [Sigia-l] Smackdown: Edward Tufte vs. Don Norman

RE: [Sigia-l] Smackdown: Edward Tufte vs. Don Norman

From: Boniface Lau (boniface_lau_at_compuserve.com)
Date: Sun May 29 2005 - 09:39:23 EDT

> From: Karl Fast
>
> Are bullet points evidence of having thought something through?

Not necessarily. But more likely.

[...]
> But it is not what *I* needed. And it is not what the other people
> on my team needed.

I thought your document was for the CEO? Thus, it is what the CEO
wants that counts. The CEO might already knew "enough" details about
the project and simply wanted a high level summary in bullets.

[...]
> Scientists do not work this way. Imagine submitting a a bulleted
> powerpoint to a peer-reviewed journal.

Obviously, that type of communications is very different from the one
your CEO had in mind.

Different types of communications require different ways of presenting
information.

Boniface