SIGIA-L Mail Archives: [Sigia-l] i18n effects in folksonomies

[Sigia-l] i18n effects in folksonomies

From: Peter Van Dijck (peter)
Date: Mon Jan 17 2005 - 09:32:16 EST

> I don't think that would be true for every category, language or cultural group. I can understand French, Spanish and English crossing over, but not say, Hindi and Cantonese. Once you get away from the really obvious tags like 'family' 'house' 'work' how are the emotions tags defined?

Why wouldn't people in Cantonese use the "family" or "butterfly" tag?
You mention emotions, why do you think they're different in other
languages? (Not disagreeing with you, just curious why.)

>There are of course many variations on Getting Things Done as a tag,
but 15 people can't have all decided to come up with that tag
independently,

I'm not so sure.. but I'd like to see data from the Flickr and other
folks... :)

Peter