SIGIA-L Mail Archives: Re: [Sigia-l] streaming video, players & IA

Re: [Sigia-l] streaming video, players & IA

From: Listera (listera_at_rcn.com)
Date: Fri Jul 23 2004 - 13:45:54 EDT

Livia Labate:

> I'm interested in this relationship and how to deal with millions of potential
> videos coming in every day. What organization scheme and navigational
> structure are scalable and appropriate for this setting.

Hopefully I'm not missing something, but the problem here is not confined to
videos. If you were displaying a multitude of static GIFs or even chunks of
text you'd have pretty much the same UI/architectural challenge: list and
detail.

Because some browsers have an issue with screen flicker/update, you'll need
to put the streaming video in its own frame. So if bookmarking is not an
issue (an usually isn't in this context), then the simplest and most
efficient template is a minimum of two frames/iframes, one for the list
another for the detail. If you have a large reservoir of videos, then you'd
need an additional frame where you can display categories and/or a search
facility:

Search -> List-> Detail

Pretty conventional and about the minimum you can get away with. Of course,
by using Flash you can further refine/unify the UI and get rid of frames for
a smoother interaction.

Ziya
Nullius in Verba