SIGIA-L Mail Archives: [Sigia-l] Right-side navigation

[Sigia-l] Right-side navigation

From: Arjun Sabharwal (arjun.sabharwal_at_baker.edu)
Date: Tue Jul 06 2004 - 14:18:51 EDT

Hello:

Donna's blog presents a good case for developing mirror
sites for left-handed people. Having worked in libraries, I
have seen not once that users leave the terminal with the
mouse on the left side.

I wonder if there is already a trend for such assistive
solutions. I also wondered if you create a frames template
in DreamWeaver with the options available to you, you should
be able to make a navigable (nested?) right side with the
alignment to the left is important to make text visible in
small windows. In this case, the main frame (chosen as
target also) would be on the left. This begs the question
though: is the main frame as target choice defaulted to the
right, or can it be chosen to be in the left frame?

I think it shows that current web design practices sooner or
later will leave the present "right-handed" paradigm for a
more flexible choice...or perhaps I am reading something
else into these messages :-).

Arjun Sabharwal

Arjun Sabharwal
Remote Services Librarian