Return to http://www.info-arch.org/lists/sigia-l/0309/0101.html

SIGIA-L Mail Archives: Re: [Sigia-l] Legibility?

Re: [Sigia-l] Legibility?

From: James Spahr (james_at_spahr.org)
Date: Mon Sep 15 2003 - 01:18:35 EDT

On Monday, September 15, 2003, at 12:51 AM, Listera wrote:

>> we are talking about readability here, not legibility.
>
> Says who?:-)
>
> Since you seem to be interested in typography:
>
> Legibility
> The ease with which text is read in ordinary, continuous reading,
> usually
> gauged by reading speed and error rate. Also, Readability.
>
> Typography Glossary - L <http://www.redsun.com/type/glossary/l.shtml>

I was referencing a book (the David Jury text that I previously
mentioned) on the subject that defines legibility as the ability to
distinguish individual letterforms and readability as the ease of
reading a passage of text.

He has a fair amount of text that talks about how the two terms are
related and how typography and can help or hinder legibility and
readability. Again, I recommend looking at the book if you want to get
this detailed.

Or, find more respectable online references for your data:

http://www.itcfonts.com/ulc/
article.asp?nCo=AFMT&sec=ulc&issue=26.2.1&art=legibility

U&lc is a fairly well know and respected publication in the typography
profession (even if it is published by ITC).

> Hair splitting?

Don't we always? why else would threads linger here for months? :)

James.