SIGIA-L Mail Archives: RE: [Sigia-l] Information-centered Design

RE: [Sigia-l] Information-centered Design

From: Joe 10 (joe_at_joe10.com)
Date: Fri Apr 04 2003 - 12:02:14 EST

At 4:35 PM +0100 4/4/03, Jon Hanna wrote:
>> One of the problems I see is that we (some of us anyway, to some
>> degree) are, as JGG put it, artisans, and creative types tend to dig
>> doing it their own way and bristle at the thought of being hemmed in
>> by descriptive standards.
>
>I agree with pretty much all you said there except this bit.
>
>In my experience creative people tend to very rapidly reduce the possible
>actions they could take down very quickly to a small set within which they
>do their creative work. Magnitudes of speed over how quickly others do so.

Just so, but as you said, 'they' reduce it (the possible set).

Yes, constraints often improve the creative potential, etc.

When it comes to plugging in someone else's constraints, creative
types (designers, programmers, system analysts and other creative
solution providers) frequently balk and say "Oh, that doesn't fit my
structured way of doing things" so they creatively create their own
constraints.

And when I say "they", I don't mean "you", I mean "me", as that's all
I can speak to; but I probably mean "we"

/Joe

--

Joe Tennis Information Design Honcho Joe 10 Group 2430 5th Street Studio L Berkeley, CA 94710 510-649-1744 joe @ joe10.com http://www.joe10.com?cpn=sig User Centered Design, Strategy and Marketing for Web, Wireless and Interactive Media

Get your E-Metrics in order: http://metrics.joe10.com/ ------------ When replying, please *trim your post* as much as possible. *Plain text, please; NO Attachments