SIGIA-L Mail Archives: RE: [Sigia-l] CMS and IA

RE: [Sigia-l] CMS and IA

From: Kal Ahmed (kal_at_techquila.com)
Date: Thu Jan 30 2003 - 16:51:15 EST

Coming in on the tail-end of a conversation is never a good thing, but I
just had to reply to this bit:

On Thu, 2003-01-30 at 16:27, Nuno Lopes wrote:
> Hi Peter, thanks in for your reply,
>
> Peter wrote:
<snip/>
> >The actual structure of an ontology can differ (there is no ONE
> structure >for ontologies. XTM (topicmaps) provides one example of a
> defined structure >that can be used to model ontologies. Topicmaps are
> often kept in a >relational database rather than in the XML format
> (XTM).
>
> I see. Can you provide me with links to "open source" projects that we
> can see how the concept of generic topicmaps was mapped into an
> entity/relational model (if they are stored in a relational database
> then the proof of equivalence is made at least in part (derivation may
> be)).

http://tm4j.org/ or http://sourceforge.net/projects/tm4j TM4J parses
topic maps to a java data model (OO) which is then persisted in either
an OODBMS or RDBMS. The OO->relational mapping is done by Hibernate, an
open-source object-relational mapping tool.

Now I shall get back to my tea, and read the rest of this thread to find
out what I just stuck my oar into ;-)

Cheers,

Kal