SIGIA-L Mail Archives: Re: [Sigia-l] unemployed?

Re: [Sigia-l] unemployed?

From: Ziya Oz (ZiyaOz_at_earthlink.net)
Date: Wed Jun 05 2002 - 14:31:57 EDT

"Ashk, Adamya" wrote:

> The issue of boundaries is one which exists in other fields as well. Take
> for example, town planning and architecture.

Hmm. If you wanted an industrial office tower or a house built, would you go
looking for an architect or a town planner?

And therein lies the dilemma for IAs: the vast, vast majority of web
sites/apps are built without the benefit of IAs. A web site can be built
without the services of an IA, but not, say, a web designer or a programmer.
They are deemed to be absolutely essential, whereas the IA functions are
something one affords only if there is 'excess' money to spend or a pesky
problem the two other disciplines cannot help with.

Again, this is not unique to IA. Many companies think, for example,
industrial design is something of a 'luxury', unrelated to the bottom line.

> A history of both disciplines will show that they intersect and practitioners
> of one have frequently been from the other.

This is why I've been advocating 'dual-capable' IAs, which is another way of
saying that I'm more confident of the longevity of IA contributions to the
process than the profitability of the IA title.

Best,

Ziya