SIGIA-L Mail Archives: RE: [Sigia-l] The fuzzy line btwn IA and

RE: [Sigia-l] The fuzzy line btwn IA and Design

From: Heller, David (david.heller_at_documentum.com)
Date: Mon Apr 29 2002 - 16:47:16 EDT

>Agreed, but I don't think the real problem is
>protecting their feelings. The fuzzy line presents a
>problem when it:
>
>1. incorrectly sets client expectations
>2. prevents designers from being creative and innovative
>3. encourages IAs to talk about things (eg: layout,
>typography) that are better addressed by designers

Dan, but I still think this is about relationships and not about process or
methods. When presenting to a client, it is up to the team to decide who is
presenting what, when and how. I know this sounds simplistic, but it works.

lead client contact for user experience. While this could be argued, it was
well understood inside the company and outside by the client. It was then up
to me as IA to know my limits and when to encourage designer explanation of
compositions.

As to the problem of wireframes being understood by client as final art. I
have had a client like a pencil sketch once. So ya never know. But
seriously, it is really more about upfront discussion than anything else.
Our clients were given the complete process and understood what was coming
after the wireframes before they ever saw them. In our presentation of our
process we showed them wireframes and then what they became afterwards. This
usually during the real engagement limited this problem.

-- dave

Content Management Symposium, Chicago O'Hare Marriott, June 28 - 30.
See http://www.asis.org/CM