SIGIA-L Mail Archives: Re: [Sigia-l] International Interface De

Re: [Sigia-l] International Interface Design?

From: Tanya Rabourn (rabourn_at_columbia.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 23 2002 - 11:37:32 EDT

Gordon Montgomery wrote:
> Donna wrote: "When is a website not international??"
>
> Exactly!
>
> I find the frequent Americano-centric view on this and other
> lists often debilitating...it's the whole "World Series" debate all
> over again. Sure, you speak from your point of knowledge but
> it is the WWW now not the US DoD ARPANET any more.
>
> Never should a site be designed - "just for us".

I don't doubt that your complaint is valid Gordon, but you do have to
identify a primary audience for a site. Occasionally they will be from a
single country or just a few countries. When targeting an international
audience like Dave is trying to do, there will be other characteristics
that distinguish his primary audience other than nationality.

-Tanya

Tanya Rabourn <rabourn_at_columbia.edu>
[User Services Consultant]
AcIS R & D <www.columbia.edu/acis/rad>
tel: 212.854.0295

Content Management Symposium, Chicago O'Hare Marriott, June 28 - 30.
See http://www.asis.org/CM