SIGIA-L Mail Archives: Re: SIGIA-L: Dressing up in Lab Coats
Re: SIGIA-L: Dressing up in Lab Coats
From: Peter Van Dijck (peter_at_vardus.com)
Date: Tue Feb 19 2002 - 07:01:55 EST
* interaction design: how the user interacts with the product: focusses on
all the elements of the the interaction
* information design: how information is visually displayed? (I have that
feeling I'm wrong on this one - if it was right it should be information
* information architecture: how information is structured, it's about
* interface design: how the interface works, relates to interaction design,
but focusses on the interface elements, feeds into visual design
Ok, so how 'bout:
* Visual design: how the interface looks
* Technical system design: how the system works inside the black box
* Metadata design: I guess that's part of IA
* Business design: how the entire system will bring business benefits
* Workflow design: how users will use the system, focusses on the steps to
be taken and dependencies
* Process design: larger than workflows: how the new workflows that the
system allows will impact the overall process of how things are being done.
* Brand design: about how the product/company is perceived by the user.
Focuses on user perception, relates closely to interaction design, feeds
into visual design.
I feel a graph coming up ;) Who's first? But I'm gonna shut up now, I don't
even want to be talking about this really... I can already see a bunch I've
You know what I think? It doesn't matter who wears which hats in a team, as
long as the ones you need for the particular project are being worn by
someone (qualified ofcourse). Preferably by multiple persons. And not all
projects will need all hats. And you need to find out what hats are needed
for a particular project. And now I'm really shutting up.
This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.2
: Sun Nov 23 2003 - 22:55:02 EST