SIGIA-L Mail Archives: Re: SIGIA-L: Re: Fonts for usability

Re: SIGIA-L: Re: Fonts for usability

From: Ziya Oz (ZiyaOz_at_earthlink.net)
Date: Wed Jan 16 2002 - 04:22:19 EST

Brian Hilligoss wrote:

> The good thing about using percentages--provided that one uses percentages
> that are fairly large--is that the final output should be closer to what
> users "prefer" (based on browser preference setting), than if one were to
> use absolute pixel sizes, since percentages will always be relative to a
> user's default settings (more or less). Absolute pixel values, on the other
> hand, might be far from a user's default settings.

This assumes that users actively know about and set their own prefs. Forget
about ordinary users, I have met quite few IT workers with years in business
who were clueless about such settings and couldn't find the place for them.
Perhaps someone has stats on the percentage of users who don't know about or
never bother with settings in either browser or OS prefs. The whole thing is
a mess.

Best,

Ziya