SIGIA-L Mail Archives: SIGIA-L: same icon, different function?

SIGIA-L: same icon, different function?

From: Deb.Reiser_at_nuedgesystems.com
Date: Tue Jan 15 2002 - 17:49:55 EST

I need some evidence to support my call that a proposed UI change is not a
good idea. So is anyone out there aware of any instances where two icons,
one just like the other, appear next to one another on a tool bar but
perform a different function? The only clue to their difference being the
tool tip? And yes, this is in a Windows environment were the tool tip can
be turned off.

I know most would view this as a no-brainer, but I'm dealing with a
developer who just doesn't view the situation as a big deal so I need to
develop a solid argument against implementing such a change.

(don't laugh too hard -- this has been my battle today).

deb

Deb Reiser
User Interface Designer