Return to http://www.info-arch.org/lists/sigia-l/0201/0339.html

SIGIA-L Mail Archives: Re: SIGIA-L: Site Map vs. Site Index

Re: SIGIA-L: Site Map vs. Site Index

From: Samantha Bailey (a2slb_at_earthlink.net)
Date: Tue Jan 15 2002 - 20:25:38 EST

> Imagine that: Samantha Bailey, fan of the site index. Somehow that's not
> at all surprising. ;-)

Ok, so I can be a little one-track, but once my life mission is complete
*everyone* will realize that
everything goes better with a really good index (insert theme song), and
what a beautiful world that will be.

On a more serious note: I think the reason that site map and site index get
glommed together is because there is so much confusion over them,
semantically--one person sees a site map and calls it a site index, or vice
versa (and this gets codified in site labels, much to my chagrin) but when
it comes to a search interface, we just call it search, not map or guide.
(Of course indexers do run into confusion with the search folks over
"indexing" a site, but that's another problem...)

Samantha Bailey
samantha_at_baileysorts.com | http://baileysorts.com