SIGIA-L Mail Archives: Re: SIGIA-L: Limiting links on a page in

Re: SIGIA-L: Limiting links on a page in order to reduce information overload

From: Eric Scheid (eric.scheid_at_ironclad.net.au)
Date: Fri Jan 11 2002 - 09:00:28 EST

From: Karyn Young <kyoungsprint10_at_earthlink.net> (11/1/02 12:08)

>then there's at least a hundred pieces of info that the user needs to digest
>if they are really going to look at the whole thing.

Is that the right mental model to use though, that a user will consider,
evaluate, and digest all links before making a decision? I thought users
used a "satisfycing" approach, where they process as they read and then
link off at the first available potentiality.

Given that model, more links would be better ... except as you've shown
it's not, so something else is happening. Maybe the users are not even
reading the first line, and simply avoiding the entire page, hoping to
find something a little more focused? Could it be that they see "a lot of
links" as being equivalent to "a very loose collection"?

If the latter, perhaps a redesign such that a "short list" of "best bets"
is emphasised, and all the other links are lowered in presence. Would
that work?

e.

eric_at_ironclad.net.au i r o n c l a d n e t w o r k s
information architect http://www.ironclad.net.au/