SIGIA-L Mail Archives: Re: SIGIA-L: XML Search Engines?

Re: SIGIA-L: XML Search Engines?

From: Avi Rappoport (analyst_at_searchtools.com)
Date: Wed Jul 11 2001 - 17:14:53 EDT

At 12:44 PM -0500 7/11/01, Matthew Theobald wrote:
>'lo all,
>
>What search engines exist that search XML rather than HTML?

Google (test by searching for "inurl: searchtools-rss.xml"), but none
of the other webwide search engine robots will touch XML files

>-or-
>Is XML searching currently contained only to a site or an array of sites
>that comply with a common DTD?

XML files can be treated as unstructured text files so a search
engine doesn't have to know about DTDs or Schema. However, this
means you lose a good portion of the value of XML markup, including
what to put as the title! Some text search enigines, such as Inktomi
(formerly Ultraseek) can recognize tags as well.

>Any recommendations?

Please take a look at my page on XML search
<http://www.searchtools.com/info/xml.html> and my listings for XML
search engines at
<http://www.searchtools.com/info/xml-resources.html>. Feel free to
contact me directly if you have any other questions.

Avi

--
Search Server Industry Analysis from Search Tools Consulting
    (510) 845-2551  -- <mailto: analyst_at_searchtools.com>