SIGIA-L Mail Archives: RE: SIGIA-L: Global nav during a process?

RE: SIGIA-L: Global nav during a process?

From: Budzyn, Mark \(2051\) (Mark.Budzyn_at_esavio.com)
Date: Mon Jul 23 2001 - 14:33:58 EDT

I would love to hear the same thing (comments, experience, thoughts, etc).

We built a system that includes multiple processes, one of which is a long
process to register for a test (involving anywhere from 28-45 pages) and
we
came across the same issue. The additional issue we had to deal with is if
the user elects to 'leave' the process, all their options as well as the
temporary hold on the seat they selected would be lost.

We chose the option to include the global nav bar. It created some major
coding complications since the process includes integration with many
systems and business rules. I like the idea of keeping the 'web-iness' of
the page, in that a user can click on any link. I'l be honest, the site
has
been up almost a year and there have been no major issues... so, no news
is
good news, I guess.

But, on the 'anti-global nav bar' camp I recently was doing some research
on
Section 508 compliance (US gov't web accessability) and one requirement
is:
'A method shall be provided that permits users to skip repetitive
navigation
links'. I read this as a statement against global nav bars. My guess is
that
this requirement is included for user's with speaking browsers. If you
include a global nav bar on each page, the speaking browser will 'speak'
the
entire nav bar before getting to the meat of the page. We have planned an
enhancement for the site where a user can set a preference to 'collapse'
the
nav bar to only two options: home, and 'reveal all'.

-mark