Return to http://www.info-arch.org/lists/sigia-l/0105/0019.html

SIGIA-L Mail Archives: RE: SIGIA-L: hifi deliverables/docs make

RE: SIGIA-L: hifi deliverables/docs make changes harder?

From: Elisabeth Paine (epaine_at_ImageWks.com)
Date: Tue May 01 2001 - 09:18:01 EDT

I haven't had time to follow this thread so excuse me if someone else has
already brought up this point.

We use paper prototypes for our first set of usability test. Because it is
just a piece of paper and looks expendable, we find users are more apt to be
brutally honest than if faced with something more hi-fi. Hi-fi looks like
someone (maybe the people testing them?) has invested a lot of time, thought
and effort and we find the user starts hedging more.

During our intro to the paper prototype test we actually tell the user that
no programming or design has been done yet and demonstrate how easily we can
make changes by tearing a piece of paper in half. It gets a laugh and they
settle right in.

BTW, we find that users have no problem with the fact that it is paper -
they revert to childhood "make-believe" in a flash.

Elisabeth Paine
Customer Experience Strategist
Image Works
207-773-1101 ext. 106