SIGIA-L Mail Archives: Re: SIGIA-L: Flash as a superior ui tech

Re: SIGIA-L: Flash as a superior ui technology

From: Christopher Turner (princeofcats_at_newarcadia.com)
Date: Fri Feb 16 2001 - 03:21:56 EST

Folks,

I have to say: I do agree with Erik. Flash is a sophisticated and powerful
tool. The stone wall it puts up to the disabled is deeply troubling; I'll
become an active proponent of all-Flash sites when that (and the search
problem) are licked. Until then, the designers are gonna have to convince me
that it makes sense in terms of the demographics, the site concept, and the
client's long term plans. And, yes, Flash splash screens and pointless
animations must die.

But - I gotta say - this whole "99% bad" thing seems to me - sorry, Dr.
Nielsen - a bit on the hysterical side. Usability testing is an excellent
and wonderful thing but - unfortunately - all usability testing can tell you
is if something works or if it doesn't. It provides a whole raft of
information about what went wrong, but it doesn't provide a solution.

Isn't that where we come in? And if Flash can help us deliver a solution
that fits the clients' needs and objectives... well, geez, what's the
problem?

Best to all,

Christopher Turner
Information Architect