SIGIA-L Mail Archives: SIGIA-L: The Information Architecture of
SIGIA-L: The Information Architecture of Information Architecture
Date: Thu Jul 13 2000 - 13:08:00 EDT
I'm about 1/3 of the way through producing a compilation document of
the "Notation" thread, with related sub-threads as necessary.
Basically, I'm cutting out all the "fat" and producing a linear-as-possible
reconstruction of the thread.
My intent is that we can use it as a resource for things like:
1) filling in some more details into Steve Toub's excellent high-level
2) better distilling concepts, terms, key ideas from the conversational
3) get some content for potential use in a more formal definition of the IA
4) possibly provide a way for us to better work on the topic as a group
5) identifying possible areas to explore in conferences
I'll let you know when I'm done (might be a day or two!).
* An interesting note concerning the UML: From my understanding, the guys
at Rational (Rumbaugh, Booch, Jacobson) who first started the efforts to
up with a "universal modeling language" were originally asked by the OMG to
produce a unified "software development process". However, when they
embarked on this mission, they realized they couldn't do it until they had a
standard notation, thus they digressed a bit and the UML was born.
I wonder if the IA situation is the reverse - perhaps a definition of the
will facilitate the creation of a standard notation. Just a thought!
This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.2
: Sun Nov 23 2003 - 22:54:20 EST